Saturday, May 19, 2007

Splash into Life

I have come to a crossroads in my life and well...I am taking a plunge.

Remember the Nestea commercial when we were younger? Two adults stood fully clothed facing away from the edge of a pool, and then, as anticipated, they released their upright positions and surrendered to gravity....backwards into the pool: slow motion, falling into the water with the biggest, freshest looking splash...ear to ear smiles plastered on their faces. Obviously, Nestea is refreshing bliss.

Lately, I have come to identify with this commercial as I have decided to take the plunge. I am gearing up to move to the Austin area. When contemplating this decision, I realized that like everything else in life, every answer to every question has a common thread....it depends. Where will we live? It depends....How much can I afford to pay? Is there vacancy where I wish to live? Is it wheelchair accessible? Where will I work? It depends...Who's hiring? Will they want to hire me? Will it pay enough to make ends meet? What will I do with the girls when they don't have school? It depends...Will the chosen childcare be able to care for Gabbie's special needs? Is there transportation from school? Will I be able to find a caregiver? "It depends" stinks!

I know this....the plunge is scary! Leaving the comfortable, the known behind and moving toward the unknown is overwhelmingly frightening, but I have seen evidence that the plunge is exhilarating...thanks to a tea company's marketing department. Logic does tell me that, of course, there is a sting when you first hit the water, but if you don't risk the sting you're just left standing, fully clothed facing away from a great, refreshing experience.

I am scared stiff, but I know it is the right move for me and my girls. I know that the support of family is immeasurable, and I know that where ever I go, God is already there preparing the way and opening all the doors I will need to be successful and provide for my girls. I anxiously look forward to the day when I pack my things, release my current safe, upright position and fall into my new refreshing bliss.

1 comment:

Tiffany said...

Depends not the undergarment...funny...no really funny!

I'm excited for you and the girls! It will be a great thing for y'all, and I will be visiting!

I love your writing by the way! I think you should try get a part time job writing for the Austin Statesmen!!!